When Fairview burned down
about 1922, Stanley
Brown-Serman helped put wet towels on the roof of the new rectory to keep the fire from
spreading. Huge patches of burning material were blowing across the
channel from Osprey Island to St. Hubert's Isle.1
In 1879 Dr. Thomas
Durant wanted his nephew Charles W.
Durant Jr. (1849-1928) and his wife to build their summer home on Osprey Island,
across from St. Hubert's Isle. Dr. Durant's wife invited the guide Alvah
Dunning to tea at Pine Knot to convince him to give up his "squatter's right" to the state land.
(1879), Camp Cedars (1880) and Echo Camp (1883) appear to have been built
using the same twin-towered design by an unknown architect.2
is believed to have been the principal builder of Fairview, supervised by
William West Durant. Charles Bennett and Joseph O.A. Bryere assisted in
the construction of the boathouse in 1883, with bedrooms above.3
Judging by the photographs, a second floor
between the two towers was added by J. Harvey Ladew.
Wallace was the builder for Echo Camp and also for the Church of the
Transfiguration in Blue Mountain Lake two years later. Charles Bennett
also helped build Echo Camp.
lived year round on the 12-acre island from 1868 to 1879. He had taken over the rough
camp of the Rev. 'Adirondack' Murray, allegedly one of the first white men to set up camp on
Osprey has a natural spring, which made it an attractive
spot on which to settle.
O. A. Bryere (d 1921) was the caretaker for Fairview. He and his wife Mary
(d 1954) built Brightside, which burned in 1905. The rebuilt hotel was
later run by their daughter
until 1957 and in 2000 was purchased by the TLC Division of FIS for
use as a conference center.
in the rustic cabin style of the Adirondack camp. In 1891 Charles Durant sold Fairview to the
J. Harvey Ladew
family of New York City, who renamed it "Camp Ladew" and also
renamed Durant's steamer Stella,
The steamer has been at the
Adirondack Museum since 1956.5
At one point,
according to Mrs. Perry Mackey of St. Andrew's, Albany, Osprey was owned by her
paternal grandfather, Thomas
McClyman (1841-1893). Mrs. Mackey gave three Edward Bierstadt photos to Ralph Carmichael.6
Since the 1940s the property has belonged to the Berry family. Mrs.
Berry also lived there 12 months a year.
More photos here
Mary Brown-Serman Walke Kirby in telephone conversation with webmaster on 9 July 1998.
Craig Gilborn, Durant:
The Fortunes and Woodland Camps of a Family in
(Sylvan Beach, New York: North Country Books, 1981), 50.
Ted Aber and Stella King,
The History of Hamilton County,
Pleasant, New York: Great Wilderness Books, 1965), 786.
Jim Fynmore, "Relics of
1890 Travel in the Central Adirondacks," (North
Country Life, Fall 1957),
Ralph Carmichael in conversation with webmaster Summer 1959.
List of Clergy
Return to Osprey