1874 – 1953
The Blue Mountain House, located on the side of Blue Mountain, was a popular 19th century resort operated for 60 years by Miles Tyler Merwin.
In 1875, when he saw the success of John Holland’s original Blue Mountain Lake House and the American (later the Ordway House, then Prospect House) on the opposite shore, Merwin decided to upgrade his log cabin to accommodate additional guests.
The view from the Hill was one of the best in the area. which made up for the long walk down to the water. The stage coach would drop off guests and soon Merwin installed his own telegraph line.
In 1935 the hotel was purchased by William and Katherine Wessels and in 1947 they began talking with Harold K. Hochschild about creating a space in which to preserve artifacts of early life in the Adirondacks. They formed the Adirondack Historical Association in 1954 which purchased the property. And in 1957 Hochschild and Wessels opened the world-famous Adirondack Museum on the site.
The original cabin is still on the grounds of the museum. The Blue Mountain House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.