NEW - Potter's 

Blue Mountain Lake

Ralph's Family

Barges on Raquette Lake

CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD   Est. 1880

 

Since the 1700s nature lovers, sportsmen and vacationers have been attracted to beautiful Raquette Lake in the Central Adirondacks of New York - the "queen lake of the Adirondacks." 

 

A vintage railway brochure from 1900 lists the lake's old Indian name as Killoquah - meaning rayed like the sun - appropriate to its shape. 

 

The 98 miles of shoreline, deep bays where lake trout love to hide and waterways from the Marion and Raquette Rivers to Blue Mountain Lake bring visitors from all over.

 

 

Durant Days

Site Map

Cottage Rental

Mail to:  info  at  sthubertsisle  dot  com


ANNUAL ISLAND SERVICE

 First Sunday of August at 3 pm

FREE Transport from Village Dock at 2 pm

Courtesy of Burke's Marina

*****

Annual Durant Days

First Weekend of August

 

2011 New Roof

More island photos here

2002 Aerial view of St. Hubert's Isle from Bird's seaplane

Views from seaplane here                 

 

The island church, designed by the firm of esteemed architect Josiah Cleveland Cady, was the summer chapel for many families significant in the history of the United States during the second half of the 19th century.

These included Dr. Thomas Durant and Collis P. Huntington of transcontinental railroad fame, William West Durant (warden), John Boyd Thacher future mayor of Albany (treasurer), former Governor Phineas Lounsbury of Connecticut, Francis Stott, J. Harvey Ladew, Lucy Carnegie (widow of Andrew's brother Thomas) and many others. 

By the end of the 19th century Raquette Lake had become "the place" to build one's summer home.  Four of these rustic structures, designed by William West Durant and later sold to C.P. Huntington, J.P. Morgan, Alfred Vanderbilt and New York State Lieutenant Governor Timothy Woodruff, are now known as Adirondack Great Camps.  

Those were the days of great prominence for Raquette Lake, and soon St. Hubert's Isle with its picturesque chapel became the center of much social life on the lake.

An annual vespers service is still held the first Sunday of August at 3:00 pm, with free transport from the village at 2 pm.  All are welcome - we hope to see you there !


 

Montgomery H Throop II - founding priest 1880-1885   Rev. Edward O. Flagg, summer of 1889   William Brown-Serman, served 1895-1941   Stanley Brown-Serman, served 1931-1941   Ralph Miller Carmichael, served 1959-1995  Nancy Rosenblum - 1997-1998, 2001 - Present

                                                       

                                                             

Clergy from 1880 - Present

Descriptions appear by letting the mouse rest over each photo

Click photo for more information


   

 


CHURCH of the GOOD SHEPHERD

 

9505 Lake Access

St. Hubert's Isle 

Raquette Lake, NY  13436

 

Mail to:  info  at  sthubertsisle  dot  com




Click for Raquette Lake, New York Forecast

   World map of last 100 visitors to our site                                     Free Web Counter      

                            Digits.com

                         

 
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign

Last updated on Tuesday, 16 July 2013 12:52:24

Dedicated to my parents, Ralph & Jean, whose love for Raquette Lake inspired these pages

 

      Unless otherwise noted all material Copyright 1999 to the present by the Carmichael Family Trust

Site designed and maintained by Fay Carmichael